How To Be Outstanding!
Good is only half a block from average. Excellence lives on the other side of town from good. Outstanding resides in a zip code all by itself!
Why not Be Outstanding! This article is devoted to reinvesting in you. Its purpose is to help you to raise the bar, and reach for higher levels of performance from yourself and others than you ever thought possible.
How does one create and sustain outstanding performance?
First and foremost, you must live and die by the spirit of this rule:
“If you are not committed to delivering results that are profound, dramatic and superior – NEVER COMPETE!”
Let’s consider the ramifications of these 16 simple words. They remind me of something that Steve Jobs of Apple once said…
“It’s not enough to make your offer or performance great, it should be INSANELY great. Incremental improvements over your competition’s offers, or even your own previous offers, don’t cut it. You should shoot for TEN times better.”
Being outstanding means redefining existing standards of performance, and challenging existing paradigms of world best practices.
The Ritz-Carlton epitomizes what it means to create and sustain outstanding performance.
The Ritz-Carlton is the first and only Hotel Company to win the coveted Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award; in fact they are the first and only Service Company to win the award twice.
When you stay at the Ritz-Carlton, you get to experience and enjoy the finest service and facilities in the world. They have consciously developed a legacy, and a reputation for outstanding service and innovation.
The standards of service, dining and facilities set by the Ritz-Carlton serve as a benchmark for all hotels and resorts worldwide. In short, The Ritz-Carlton has set the standards by which everyone else must compete.
What follows are the Gold Standards, which serve as the foundational principals of the Ritz-Carlton. These Gold Standards drive outstanding results. They encompass the values and philosophy by which they operate and include:
The Three Steps of Service,
The Employee Promise.
The Ritz-Carlton Hotel is a place where the genuine care and comfort of our guests is our highest mission.
We pledge to provide the finest personal service and facilities for our guests who will always enjoy a warm, relaxed, yet refined ambience.
The Ritz-Carlton experience enlivens the senses, instills well-being, and fulfills even the unexpressed wishes and needs of our guests.
We Are Ladies and Gentlemen Serving Ladies and Gentlemen.
Three Steps of Service
1. A warm and sincere greeting. Use the guest name if and when possible.
2. Anticipation and Compliance with guest needs.
3. Fond farewell. Give them a warm good-bye and use their names, if and when
The Basics (20)
1. The Credo is the principle belief of our Company. It must be known, owned and energized by all.
2. Our Motto is “We are Ladies and Gentlemen serving Ladies and Gentlemen.” As service professionals, we treat our guests and each other with respect and dignity.
3. The Three Steps of Service are the foundation of Ritz-Carlton hospitality. These steps must be used in every interaction to ensure satisfaction, retention and loyalty.
4. The Employee Promise is the basis for our Ritz-Carlton work environment. It will be honored by all employees.
5. All employees will successfully complete annual Training Certification for their position.
6. Company objectives are communicated to all employees. It is everyone’s responsibility to support them.
7. To create pride and joy in the workplace, all employees have the right to be involved in the planning of the work that affects them.
8. Each employee will continuously identify defects (MR BIV) throughout the Hotel.
9. It is the responsibility of each employee to create a work environment of teamwork and lateral service so that the needs of our guests and each other are met.
10. Each employee is empowered. For example, when a guest has a problem or needs something special you should break away from your regular duties, address and resolve the issue.
11. Uncompromising levels of cleanliness are the responsibility of every employee.
12. To provide the finest personal service for our guests, each employee is responsible for identifying and recording individual guest preferences.
13. Never lose a guest. Instant guest pacification is the responsibility of each employee. Whoever receives a complaint will own it, resolve it to the guest’s satisfaction and record it.
14. “Smile – we are on stage.” Always maintain positive eye contact. Use the proper vocabulary with our guests. (Use words like – “Good Morning,” “Certainly,” “I’ll be happy to,” and “My pleasure.”)
15. Be an ambassador of your Hotel in and outside of the work place. Always talk positively. Communicate any concerns to the appropriate person.
16. Escort guests rather than pointing out directions to another area of the Hotel.
17. Use Ritz-Carlton telephone etiquette. Answer within three rings and with a “smile” Use the guest’s name when possible. When necessary, ask the caller “May I place you on hold?” Do not screen calls. Eliminate call transfers whenever possible. Adhere to voice mail standards.
18. Take pride in and care of your personal appearance. Everyone is responsible for conveying a professional image by adhering to Ritz-Carlton clothing and grooming standards.
19. Think safety first. Each employee is responsible for creating a safe, secure and accident free environment for all guests and each other. Be aware of all fire and safety emergency procedures and report security risks immediately.
20. Protecting the assets of a Ritz-Carlton Hotel is the responsibility of every employee. Conserve energy, properly maintain our hotels and protect the environment.
The Employee Promise
At The Ritz-Carlton, our Ladies & Gentlemen are the most important resource in our service commitment to our guests.
By applying the principles of trust, honesty, respect, integrity and commitment, we nurture and maximize talent to the benefit of each individual and the company.
The Ritz-Carlton fosters a work environment where diversity is valued, quality of life is enhanced, individual aspirations are fulfilled, and The Ritz-Carlton mystique is strengthened.
So what can you learn from the Ritz-Carlton?
1. Gold Standards are a model of simplicity, however they become a work of art once personally owned, employed and enforced.
2. Create your own Gold Standards or use these as a benchmark for delivering outstanding results.
3. You can choose the rules by which you compete and thus raise the performance bar for everyone else to follow.
So what do you do if your performance is not currently superior to everyone and everything else around you? Easy. Decide to deliver outstanding results, and deliver them – starting right NOW!
Every opportunity offers a chance to perform in an outstanding manner. If you own a business or work for one, you must be able to engineer your performance so that is PROFOUNDLY superior, thus separating you from everyone in the marketplace.
Being outstanding is an outstanding goal to shoot for.
Gary Ryan Blair
Written by Gary Ryan Blair – The GoalsGuy is your online goal setting and personal leadership coach. Check-out My Personal Strategic Plan and learn how to achieve more in the next year than most people do in a lifetime. See why best selling author Brian Tracy said, “This is the most remarkable, simple, and practical guide for ANYONE who wants to create the ideal life!” Click Here!
Help us help others. Please like this article. Share this article on your social media and with your tribe. And leave your comments below!
ps: Download our free guided meditation self hypnosis MindPower Programs and Live Better On Purpose!